Sunday, May 24, 2009

Weekend Chili Canning


Today my nineteen year old daughter and her two friends joined me in the kitchen to pressure can a batch of chili con carne. I've been canning this chili for over a year now and I can never seem to keep it stocked in my pantry as it is my kids' favorite meal. All three girls are busy planning a camping trip next week and wanted some chili for a tasty yet easily prepared meal for their outdoors adventure. I agreed to whip up a batch and they agreed to help out with the canning session.
We chopped, sliced, browned and simmered and two hours later we had produced 9 pints of delicious chili. It was a fun afternoon for all and along the way the girls learned all about the process of pressure canning food. Now all we need is some cornbread and we're all set.

5 comments:

  1. Wow what a great day! Cherish them while ya can.... they grow "out" fast! LOL The chili looks wonderful.

    Oh and on another note ....could you tell me how to set up a slideshow like you have? I got the idea from you but mines bulky and takes too much space. scifichick092@yahoo.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was given an old pressure canner. I got it tested at the extension office and they say I am good to go! I am looking forward to trying some pressure canning. I really have enjoyed water bath canning. I amy be looking to your for some pressure canning advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stumbled upon your blog today-really like it. if you have a chance, would love the recipe/directions for canning the chili -and what would you do to make it meatless?
    blessings! Stephanie
    newendings@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the way freshly-canned jars of food look, all lined up. How nice that you took the time to teach the girls this skill. I hope to be pressure canning soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also love the recipe! ebraegger@gmail.com (or you could make it your next post!)

    ReplyDelete