Sunday, May 10, 2009

Momma Wannabees



On this Mother's Day I felt a tinge of sadness for my hens. Raising chickens in an urban area restricts me from keeping roosters on my land. So each day my hens labor steadfastly to lay an egg in an effort to bring forth new chicks just as nature intended. And yet despite their best efforts all this work is in vain at least from the hens viewpoint. While my family enjoys the results of their industrious work the hen is doomed to repeat their daily effort like a scene out of the movie, "Groundhog Day".


My sadness is short lived though as I recall the hen who stuck her head in a wide mouth mason jar my son had left on the grass while catching bugs. Poor thing lacked the grey matter to back its head out of the jar and ended up stuck there for over an hour. Yes, poultry are definitely not the smartest animals by far. For chickens ignorance truly is bliss. Thankfully, they will never know that they have missed what has become my greatest experience- motherhood. Happy Mother's Day to all.

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy you stopped by my blog and left a nice comment. It is so good to meet you. What a nice blog you have. I am veggie gardening and have just ordered my first chicks. I am excited to read you also have chickens. I am looking forward to more of your blogs. Have a nice day. Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken head stuck in the mason jar cracked me up! And the ground hog day reference too. :) We may get some chickens next year. We got Khaki Campbell ducks this year, to be egg layers. Since we have never raised any birds before, ducks seemed more resilient and a good place for us to start. So far all 16 are still alive! :) But I do want chickens some day. Happy Mother's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, I am a newbie to your blog but will now be following. A little tip about broodie hens, I have learned from various blogs that when they want to sit on eggs, put a few golf balls under them, they will never know the difference.
    Keep on blogging.
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete