Sunday, May 3, 2009

Garden Update





Well the garden is coming to life and I couldn't be happier. Most every square has some green blooming and if won't be long before I have fresh veggies on our table. The radishes are just about ready to pick. I'll need to add the trellis netting this week as the vining tomatoes, squash and cucumbers are really coming along.
The only problem I've noticed so far is that something is snacking on my swiss chard. I've lost a few seedlings over the last few days and I am debating how to nip this problem in the bud, so to speak.
I was also a little disappointed that my herbs don't want to cooperate. I've planted one square each of oregano, rosemary and parsley. So far there's no signs of germination. I decided to reseed and cross my fingers. All in all, despite these annoyances, I am quite pleased with my first try at square foot gardening.

1 comment:

  1. I have used square foot gardening for the last 2 years and just love it. I live in a condo, so do not have a large area to grow veggies so it works beautifully for me. I've even managed to crow corn and had a wonderful bounty of potatoes this year. My neighbors are always visiting to see what I've got growing, and I share with them. I'm getting ready to start my first fall garden. Good luck with your little homestead!

    ReplyDelete