Friday, March 20, 2009

Composting- One Gal's Trash

Now that the garden vegetable's are sprouting I am so glad that I started that compost pile a few weeks back. With the temperature rising daily as we head into Spring it will only be a few months before I have usable compost for my garden. My 17 year old son and I put together a 3 foot square composter from old two by fours and scrap plywood. We set it behind my shed, out of view, and fenced it off from the chickens. So far we have had no trouble finding ingredients for our compost stew. Any trash of plant origin is fair game. Banana peels, coffee grinds, eggshells, grass clippings and shredded newspaper are prime composting material. Avoiding meat, bones, grease and dairy and frequently turning the pile will keep it from attracting flies and maintain happy neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment